Some people out there HATE movie sequels. Why? Do they also hate book sequels? Do they hate TV series that are renewed for second seasons? What is that hate with movie sequels? Good sequels explore character, or thrust enjoyable characters into new situations. How is that a bad thing? Here is my top ten list of movies that should have gotten the sequel treatment but didn't. And then, for fun, five movies that shouldn't have been sequeled.
10. The Incredibles - How does Pixar give us Cars 2 and Finding Dory, but not The Incredibles 2? Can we live in a world with Cars 2 and no Incredibles 2? It's proof that life isn't fair.
9. Kill Bill 3/4 - Because I just don't think you can have too many Tarantino-directed films starring Uma Thurman killing people with a sword.
8. Serenity - Summer Glau with an axe. Nathan Fillion with a script. Joss Whedon directing. Is there any reason this movie shouldn't be made?
7. X-Men 3 - No, I don't mean X3, I mean X-Men 3 where Bryan Singer directs and doesn't make a crappy movie. In fact, can we just erase every X-men movie that's been released since X2 and start from there? Please?
6. Zombieland 2 - Because the first one is so great and yet self-contained, it seems possible to do another one loosely connected to the first. Same world, completely different actors. Maybe we can even work Bill Murray back in there somehow.
5. Silmarillion - Dear Peter Jackson, never stop mining the Tolkien mythos for stories. The sky is the limit. My wallet is open.
4. Star Wars 7 - Yes I know it's happening, but I want it now, if for no other reason than to wash the taste of the prequels out of my mouth. God bless anyone who died between Episode III and Episode VII thinking that's all there was to life.
3. Stargate - this film inspired three television shows, but never a major motion picture. I thought it introduced enough characters and mythos that it could have been expanded upon in films. Plus, I really liked it.
2. Unbreakable - The story was just getting going. Shyamalan had a trilogy planned. Quit directing crappy films and GIVE ME THE REST OF THE TRILOGY, MAN!
1. Dredd - If I had the money I'd fund this movie myself. It needs to happen. There has to be more.
1. Every Disney sequel ever made.
2. Indiana Jones IV - There was nothing good about this film. NOTHING.
3. Jaws 2 - Which was basically Jaws 1 all over again. But the worst thing about Jaws 2 was that it paved the way for Jaws 3. And Jaws 4.
4. Batman and Robin - They should have read the signs with Batman Forever. They should have known. Someone could have raised their hand in some meeting somewhere at some point in time and said, "Maybe Alicia Silverstone isn't a great idea. And Uma Thurman. And Arnold. And a really fake Bane costume. How did they not foresee this?
5. Godfather III - Does anyone not agree?